State 4-H/FFA Livestock Judging Contest
April 8, 2017
UF HTU, Gainesville
ONLINE ENTRY; due by March 31
The 2017 State 4-H Livestock Judging Contest will be held April 8 at the covered arena of the UF Horse Teaching Unit in Gainesville. Check-in for 4-H is at 8:30 a.m. and everyone should be seated in the stands and ready to begin by 9:15. Awards will be presented at roughly 4:00 p.m. that afternoon after discussion of the classes. The contest will consist of 8-10 placing classes, plus keep-cull gilts or heifers (team activity), and feeder cattle evaluation. Questions will be asked on one or more of the placings classes, and oral reasons will be given on 2 to 4 classes (any specie).
Awards will be presented to the top individuals and teams in beef, swine, evaluation/selection, and questions/reasons as well as the highest individuals and teams overall. The winning team is eligible to compete at the National 4-H Livestock Judging Contest in Louisville, KY (November). The second place team may compete at the Western Nationals in Denver, CO (January). And the third place team qualifies for the American Royal in Kansas City, MO (October).
Each county may enter one senior team (14 and over as of September 1, 2016) of three or four members. Registration is required by March 31.
An entry fee of $25 per team is required with registration. Checks should be written to "Florida 4-H Foundation". Contestants and one coach per team will be provided with a mid-morning snack and lunch. Additional adults may purchase lunch tickets at $5 each. Please indicate on the entry form how many additional adults would like to have lunch and include their $5 with the entry fee. Registered counties will be listed here so you can check to confirm that your entry has been received.
- Must be Senior 4-H members (14 or older at beginning of 4-H year) and approved to represent the county at a State event by the County 4-H Agent.
- Must not have been members of previous state-winning 4-H teams in Livestock Judging.
- Must not have been members of previous state-winning FFA teams in Livestock Judging.
- Must not have participated in the National 4-H or FFA contest in Livestock Judging.
- Rare exceptions may be made on a case by case basis with the Specialist in charge of the State contest.
To help plan/prepare
Copies of the judging cards can be found here. Please be sure that your team members are familiar with the cards and know how to fill them out correctly. Cards filled out incorrectly may be discarded and zero scores awarded. To help everyone be familiar with the cards, a section of this website gives examples and explanations on filling out each card correctly.
There are plenty of motels in the area. Any of the motels on the Archer Road exit, Williston Road exit, or South 13th Street would be convenient.
Typical classes include:
4 or 5 market classes (beef, swine, lamb, and/or goats)
- 4 or 5 breeding classes (beef, swine, and/or sheep)
- 1 keep/cull classes with performance records (beef and/or swine consisting of 8 animals) - team activity
- evaluation class (feeder cattle, frame/muscle)
Previous State 4-H Livestock Evaluation Results:
- Back to Youth / 4-H Programs